How to protect your computer from harm
All computer software contains errors, especially computer software that is very large such as an operating system like Windows and UNIX. While no system is 100% secure, Windows users especially are most vulnerable to flaws in Windows software and computer viruses, so they need to update it at very regular times.
The best way to protect a Windows computer is
1. make sure your Windows software is up-to-date (Windows Update)
2. use anti-virus software and keep it up-to-date (daily update, automatic)
3. use a firewall to prevent unauthorized access from the network [ optional but preferable ]
4. use anti-spyware software and keep it up-to-date [ optional but preferable ]
While a firewall and anti-spyware are not really required, a firewall is a very good addition to protecting your computer. Windows XP includes standard a firewall, though you will have to activate it first.
To activate the firewall in Windows XP
1. Open Start and choose the Control Panel
2. Choose Network and Internet Connection
3. Click on Network Connections
4. Select Local Area Connection and click Change settings of this connection
5. Click on the Advanced tab...
6.... and click Protect my computer and network by limiting...
7. Click OK
Peter Van Rossem