Incoming and outgoing mailservers at the university

[id : 40] [06/11/2015] [hits : 72284]

nl  fr  

To send and receive your university e-mail through a specialized e-mail program (Outlook, Mac Mail), you need to configure the incoming and outgoing mailservers in your mailprogram.

Receiving e-mail

To receive new e-mail with POP, specify or as the incoming mailserver.

To receive new e-mail with IMAP, specify or as the incoming mailserver.

To increase the security of your network connection during mail reception, we also advise you to use SSL (Secure Socket Layers) or TLS (Transport Layer Security). To do so, make sure the SSL option for incoming mail is activated in your mailprogram, and verify that the following network port numbers are configured:

- Incoming mail server (POP): or - port number 995
- Incoming mail server (IMAP): or - port number 993
If your mailprogram offers SSL and TLS, try to use TLS.

Sending e-mail

To send messages, specify the outgoing mailserver of your Internet provider. If your computer is physically located at the university, specify or

Nowadays, you can also configure your outgoing mail server to use a secure connection AND authentication. If you do so, you can use or with port number 587 (instead of port number 25). This will allow you to send e-mail through the university's outgoing mail server from any location (e.g home or wireless).
Outgoing mailserver: or - port number 587 + authentication
If your mailprogram offers you SSL or TLS to send e-mail, only use TLS! Thunderbird users may have to use STARTTLS.

Peter Van Rossem

It is advisable to use the secure connectivity of your mailprogram to send and receive e-mail.

Examples of outgoing mailservers of some commercial Internet providers:


: :: ::: ::::