Formal Methods and Verification
The formal methods and verification group is one of the research groups of the Computer Science department at ULB's Science Faculty, and is lead by Thierry Massart and Jean-François Raskin. The team's research and teaching activities deal with rigorous methods that allow to design reliable computer systems. The latter are usually applied in the context of critical systems, such as embedded systems in transportation (e.g., trains, planes, cars), and plant's control systems.
- Associated staff:
- Former members: Denis BOIGELOT, Romain BRENGUIER, Lorenzo CLEMENTE, Aldric DEGORRE, Amit Kumar DHAR, Bram DE WACHTER, Martin DE WULF, Laurent DOYEN, Pierre GANTY, Alexandre GENON, Raffaella GENTILINI, Axel HADDAD, Christian HERNALSTEEN, Alexander HEUßNER, Hsi-Ming Ho, Paul HUNTER, Nayiong JIN, Gabriel KALYON, Stever KREMER, Engel LEFAUCHEUX, Tristan LE GALL, Stéphane LE ROUX, Pritha MAHATA, Nicolas MAQUET, Nicolas MARKEY, Cédric MEUTER, Benjamin MONMEGE, Arno PAULY, Thi-Van-Anh NGUYEN, Anthony PIRON, Ocan SANKUR, Mathieu SASSOLAS, Frédéric SERVAIS, Mahsa SHIRMOHAMMADI, Amélie STAINER, Nathalie SZNAJDER, Laurent VAN BEGIN, Eric VAN NUFFEL
- hybrid and real-time systems;
- infinite state systems, such as Petri nets or well-structured transition systems;
- antichain-based model checking;
- game theory (imperfect information, quantitative methods);
- game theory based/quantitative approaches to model checking & synthesis;
- testing and monitoring;
- specification and validation of industrial critical systems.
The group has developed a variety of computer-aided verification tools, e.g., for antichain-based approaches or well-structured transition systems. See the dedicated tool page for more details.
Please refer to the seminar's page for a detailed schedule.
The group maintains a wide range of collaborations with other research groups in Belgium and abroad. It is also founding member of the Centre Fédéré en Vérification, a virtual center that regroups all the teams interested in computer-aided verification of (French-speaking) Belgium.
Currently, we are collaborating regularly with:
- the group of Parosh Abdulla, Uppsala University, Sweden;
- the group of Véronique Bruyère, University of Mons, Belgium;
- the group of Franck Cassez at the IRCyN, Ecole Centrale de Nantes, France;
- the group of Krishendu Chatterjee, IST Austria;
- the group of Giorgio Delzanno, DISI, University of Genova, Italy;
- the group of Thomas A. Henzinger, IST Austria;
- the VerTeCs group of Thierry Jéron, IRISA-INRIA, France;
- the group of Kim G. Larsen, Aalborg University, Denmark;
- the Modeling and Verification group, LaBRI, Bordeaux, France;
- the group of Michael Leuschel, University of Düsseldorf, Germany;
- the department of CS and Engineering, IIT Bombay, India;
- the MoVe group, Laboratoire d'Informatique Fondamentale de Marseille (LIF), France;
- the Laboratoire Spécification et Vérification (LSV), ENS de Cachan, France;
- the Computing Laboratory, University of Oxford, UK;
- the group of Pierre-Yves Schobbens, University of Namur, Belgium;
- the Stanford Research Institute, California, USA;
- the Verimag, Grenoble, France.
Further, the group is a partner in the following international and national projects:
- ERC inVEST (Foundations for a Shift from Verification to Synthesis)
- Cassting (Collaborative Adaptive Systems SynThesIs using Non-zero sum Games)
- FORESt (Formal verificatiOn techniques for REal-time Scheduling problems
Members of the group also actively teaching formal methods as part of the program Master in Computer Science, and Master in Computer Engineering at the ULB.
Traditionally, the group offers the following courses:
- INFO-F-410: Embedded Systems Design
- INFO-F-412: Verification 1
- INFO-F-513: Verification 2
In this context, the group proposes topics for master's thesis (for the students at ULB only) and internships. We are also always happy to welcome highly motivated graduate and PhD students for short or long term internships. Do not hesitate to contact G. Geeraerts, T. Massart, or J.F. Raskin.
NO building, 8th floor
Campus de la Plaine
ULB CP212, boulevard du Triomphe, 1050 Bruxelles
Last update: N. MAZZOCCHI 11 OCT 2017