|| Service de Chimie Quantique
Atomes, Molécules et Atmosphères
Spectroscopic measurements of the composition and processes in the Earth's atmosphere.
Our activities are mainly centred on the sounding of atmospheric composition from satellites, with our main field of expertise being atmospheric radiative transfer in the infrared. We develop and maintain state-of-the-art RT software, which are used along with inverse methods to retrieve atmospheric trace gas concentrations and aerosol properties. We take an active part to several space missions for the sounding of the low Earth’s Atmosphere (IASI, ACE, GOSAT), and also contribute to the preparation of future programs under auspices of ESA, EUMETSAT and CNES.
Our research is at present deeply connected to the infrared atmospheric sounding interferometer (IASI) mission . Concentration distributions of reactive trace gases and aerosols are retrieved routinely from IASI measurements, and examined on various spatial and temporal scales. Applications range from global pollution monitoring (identification and quantification of sources and transport) and the assessment of environmental impacts, to the study of local plume chemistry. They also include several operational aspects, e.g. in air quality forecasting and volcanic surveillance.
Full list of publications.
Current involvement in research projects
Past projects in the last 6 years
- 2012-2014: The synergistic SWIR and IR retrievals of near-surface concentrations of CH4 and CO for Earth and Planetary atmospheres - SIROCCO (ESA)
- 2012-2013: Support to aviation Control Service - SACS2 (ESA)
- 2010-2013: Atmospheric Composition, Chemistry and Climate- A3C (ESA/Belspo Prodex)
- 2009-2012: Support to aviation Control Service - SACS+ (ESA).
- 2009-2011: European Volcano Observatory Space Services - EVOSS (EU-FP7)
- 2008-2010: Space based exploration of the Chemistry and Physics of the Earth’s Atmopshere - SECPEA (ESA/Belspo Prodex)
- 2008-2009: Original and New Tropospheric Chemistry and Air Quality - ON-TRAQ (ESA)
- 2008-2009: Potential of MTG-IRS to detect high pollution events at urban and regional scales (EUMETSAT)
ULB's IASI processing website
Can be found right here
- Réginald Colin, University Professor, now retired
- Michel Carleer, Professor, now retired
- Brice Barret, 11.2003-06.2005, now at Laboratoire d’Aérologie, Observatoire Midi-Pyrénées, Toulouse, France
- Hervé Herbin, 03.2006-08.2008, now at Laboratoire d’Optique Atmosphérique, Université de Lille 1, Lille, France
- Antoine Depauw, 11.2007-09.2009.
- Oliver Scharf, 01.2008-10.2008, now at Institut für Angewandte Photonik, Berlin, Germany
- Sophie Fally, 2001-2009, now at “Département de support aux activités académiques”, Université Libre de Bruxelles, ULB, Belgium
- Federico Karagulian, 01.2009-12.2009, now at Ricardo-AEA, UK
- Michael Theunissen, 09.2009-08.2010, now at European School Uccle, Brussels, Belgium
- Robin Campion, 01.2012-04.2012, now at Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Department of Vulcanology, Mexico
- Valentin Duflot, 01.2012-06.2013, now at Observatoire des Sciences de l'Univers de La Réunion, Saint-Denis de la Réunion, France
- Yasmina R’honi, 02.2010-10.2013, now at European School Ixelles, Brussels, Belgium
- Jean-Lionel Lacour, 09.2009-12.2014, now at Laboratoire atmosphères, milieux et observations spatiales, Sorbonne Universités, Paris, France
- Yasmine Ngadi, -12.2015
Past master students (from 2005)
- Tam Hau Nguyen Ba (Physics, 2005), now artistic director and danser at Splanchnik company
- Christelle Polart (Bioengineer, 2006), now at AIB Vinçotte, Brussels, Belgium
- Naim Rahal (Chemistry, 2006), now at Microgravity Research Center, “Université Libre de Bruxelles”, Brussels, Belgium
- Ariane Razavi (Physics, 2006), now at “Université Saint-Louis”, Brussels, Belgium
- Yannick Willame (Physics, 2007), now at Belgian Institute for Space Aeronomy, Brussels, Belgium
- François Stevens (Physics, 2007), now at “Université Catholique de Louvain”, Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium
- Barbara Santos (Physics, 2010), now at XTREME technologies, Gmbh, Aachen, Germany
- Guillaume Chaumont (Bioengineer, 2012), now at Group-IPS, SC Mariners, Brussels, Belgium
- Mauro Tomasi (Environmental Sciences, 2012), now at European Commission (SG SANTE), Brussels, Belgium
- Manon Urbain (Environmental Sciences, 2013), now at Belgian Royal Meteorological Institute, Brussels, Belgium
- Juliane Roty (Environmental Sciences,2013)
- Gaëlle Herremans (Environmental Sciences, 2013)
- Yannick Vrancx (Chemistry, 2013)
- Nicolas Martinez (Chemistry, 2014)
|| Université Libre de
Bruxelles – Faculté des Sciences